Gajar halwa is a delicious and popular Indian dessert made with carrots, milk, ghee, sugar, and nuts. It is a sweet and creamy treat that is perfect for any occasion.
* 500 grams carrots, grated
* 1.5 cups full-fat milk
* ½ cup sugar
* 4 tablespoons ghee
* 1 tablespoon raisins
* 1 tablespoon cashews, chopped
* 1 tablespoon almonds, sliced
* 1 tablespoon pistachios, sliced
* ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1. Heat the ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the milk and sugar and cook, stirring constantly, until the halwa thickens and comes together, about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in the raisins, cashews, almonds, pistachios, and cardamom. Cook for 1-2 minutes more, or until the halwa is smooth and creamy.
4. Serve warm or at room temperature.
* For a richer flavor, use khoya (mawa) instead of milk.
* If you don’t have ground cardamom, you can use 2-3 green cardamom pods, crushed.
* To make the halwa ahead of time, cool it completely and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it gently before serving.
Here are some additional tips for making the best gajar halwa:
* Use fresh, tender carrots.
* Don’t overcook the carrots, or they will become mushy.
* Stir the halwa constantly while it is cooking, to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
* Add the nuts and raisins at the end of cooking, so they don’t overcook.
* Adjust the amount of sugar to your taste.
With these tips, you’ll be sure to make a delicious and irresistible gajar halwa that everyone will love!