Dabeli is a popular Gujarati snack that is made with a spiced potato filling, sweet chutney, and red chili-garlic chutney. It is then stuffed between two pavs and topped with sev, pomegranate seeds, and coriander leaves. Dabeli is a delicious and satisfying snack that is perfect for any occasion.
Here is a recipe for Dabeli:
* 3 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled, and mashed
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 2 teaspoons dabeli masala powder
* 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
* ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
* 2 tablespoons tamarind chutney
* 2 to 3 tablespoons grated coconut (optional)
* 2 to 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
* 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
* 2 tablespoons oil
* 2 tablespoons water (optional)
* Salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the asafoetida and cumin seeds and cook for a few seconds until fragrant.
2. Add the onions and cook until softened.
3. Add the dabeli masala powder and cook for a minute more.
4. Add the mashed potatoes and mix well.
5. Add salt to taste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. If the mixture looks dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water.
7. Spread the potato filling on a plate and sprinkle with the grated coconut.
8. To assemble the dabeli, split the pavs in half. Spread one half of each pav with the tamarind chutney and the other half with the red chili-garlic chutney.
9. Stuff the pavs with the potato filling and top with the pomegranate seeds, coriander leaves, and sev.
10. Serve immediately.
* You can make your own dabeli masala powder by combining the following spices: coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, and bay leaves.
* If you don’t have pomegranate seeds, you can use chopped tomatoes or cucumbers.
* You can also add chopped peanuts to the dabeli for extra crunch.
Dabeli is a delicious and satisfying snack that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make and can be customized to your liking. So next time you are looking for a tasty snack, give dabeli a try!